Financial Difficulties

The Student Support Fund can offer support to UK students who are experiencing financial difficulties. 

EU and International students are usually not eligible to apply and should make an appointment with an adviser to discuss their situation. 

Please note that an award from the Fund is not an automatic entitlement. 

The Student Support Fund (including schemes such as Diagnostic Testing support and Care Leaver/Carer/Homeless Bursaries) is subject to review and as such, it is not guaranteed to be available every academic year or during the whole of an academic year. 

Applications for academic year 18/19 opened on 1 October 2018 and closed at 4.30 p.m on Friday 26th April 2019 for all students and schemes.

Any incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date will not be considered.

If you experience a financial crisis after the closing date, you should make an appointment with a Money and Support Adviser to discuss your situation further.

The Care Leaver Bursary is for students studying at a USW campus, who are currently in the care of a Local Authority or have been in the care of a Local Authority three years prior to commencing their course.

Students who have disclosed that they are a Care Leaver will be contacted with information on how to apply for the Care Leaver Bursary and will be required to provide evidence from a Local Authority or relevant organisation before the Fund closure deadline.

For more information on the support available for Care Leavers please visit our Care Leavers webpage. If you would like to speak with the Care Leaver Co-ordinator please email

If you are a 'Home’ student, studying at a USW campus and have lived in hostels and homeless shelters with no fixed abode in the 6 months prior to commencing your course, or during your course, you may be eligible for the Homeless Bursary. (Please note that, as this is given to assist with Summer living costs between academic years, you cannot also be granted this bursary if you are in receipt of a USW Care Leaver Bursary.)

You will need to provide a signed letter from the Foyer/Homeless Shelter confirming your stay before the Fund closure deadline. If you are unable to provide proof please make an appointment with a Money and Support Adviser to discuss your situation.

The University is keen to offer support to student carers, including providing a Bursary from its Student Support Fund to help those who are in need of financial support, as it is recognised that caring often has financial implications (such as less availability for paid work and increased travel costs). Find out more.

Students who have met with the University's Disability Service and have been advised that they need to have a diagnostic test,  but are struggling to pay for the cost, should apply for support via the Student Support Fund before the Fund closure deadline and note the cost of the test on their application.

Having had your assessment, if you are being funded by Student Finance England and are experiencing difficulties paying the first £200 towards your Disabled Student Allowance equipment, please note this on your application and provide evidence before the Fund closure deadline to request additional assistance from the University’s Student Support Fund.

Emergency Support

Please book an appointment with a Money and Support Adviser if you are experiencing:

  • Problems with statutory student funding (e.g. Student Finance/NHS) and have not yet received your first payment and are in immediate hardship as a result.

An appointment with an Adviser can be made by visiting Advice Zone Online or by selecting:

Book an Appointment