Review and Appeal Processes

If you are unhappy with the decision made by the Panel, you may either appeal against the decision, or if your financial circumstances have changed since the submission of your application form, you can ask the Panel to review your case.

Review Process

  • Have there been any changes in your income/expenditure since you completed your application or has there been a change in your circumstances (e.g. changes in employment hours, housing, debts)? If so, please complete a review sheet explaining these changes and how they have affected your financial position, including any evidence. The Panel can then review the case in light of this new information.

Appeal Process

  • If you are happy that all of the information contained in your application is correct and your circumstances have not changed, you may wish to appeal against the decision made by the Panel.
  • If you would like to submit an Appeal, please notify us in the first instance. You will be offered help and support from a Money and Support Adviser with this process.
  • If you decide to not meet with an Adviser, please submit your Appeal Letter outlining why you feel you should receive assistance/further assistance to, citing ‘Hardship Fund Appeal’ in the subject line.
  • Once received, your appeal will be passed to the Hardship Fund Panel who will re-consider your case. If the Panel uphold their original decision then the appeal will be passed to the Hardship Fund Committee.
  • If the Hardship Fund Committee uphold the Panel’s decision, then your case will be considered by the Director of Student Services.
  • Once an appeal has been received, a decision will normally be communicated to you within 20 working days.

If you are unsure whether a review or appeal is the best course of action, you can book an appointment with a Money and Support Adviser, who will be able to assist you.

If you wish to arrange an appointment with an Adviser please book online via UniLife or call (01443) 483778.

Complaints Process

Students who have submitted an appeal and are unhappy with the decision may wish to consider submitting a complaint to the University.